Its been a lazy Sunday today, full of “we’re over winter” frigid temps and snow. I was itching to bake something and halfway didn’t want to do anything at all.. but oh am I glad I did!
Years ago when we lived in the states I used to LOVE to get orange scones at Panera Bread. Its been so long, but I could still tastes their deliciousness! I realized I had some borderline done-for orange and decided to searched the web and piece together a recipe that would work for me today.
My 4 year old daughter helped with the flouring, pouring and of course.. spatula licking.
Scone Recipe – Yields 8 scones
-1/3 cup organic cane sugar
-zest of 2 organic blood oranges
-2 cups organic flour
-1 teaspoon organic baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon sea salt
-1/4 teaspoon baking soda
-8 tablespoon organic butter (room temp., cubed)
– 1/2 cup fat free organic greek yogurt
– 1 egg
1. Heat oven to 200 Degrees Celsius (sorry friends, I live in Germany!)
2. In a stand mixer, combine sugar and orange zest, then cream in the butter.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add these dry ingredients into the stand mixer until it has formed a coarse meal.
3. In another bowl, combine the greek yogurt and the egg. Add this mixture into your stand mixer to combine. Then using your hand, form dough into a ball.
4. Place on a lightly floured surface and form into a circle about 7″ wide. Place circle onto a lightly buttered baking sheet and cut triangles into your circle but do not separate them. Bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown.
-3 tablespoons butter, melted
-2 cup powdered sugar
-1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
-Fresh squeezed Orange Juice (from zested oranges used above) approx. 4 Tbsp.
1. Combine all ingredients in stand mixer and mix thoroughly.
2. When scones have cooled, spoon glaze evenly over each scone. Let set, then repeat to double-glaze.
**We couldn’t possibly wait until these scones were cooled. We ate them warm and drizzled lots of glaze over them on our plates! YUMMM!