Mirena – What No One Warns You About

Mirena is the real reason behind me starting this website, and the reason behind my renewed healthy, natural lifestyle quest. After going through the Mirena crash (that no one warns you about) I felt like I needed to add my story to the internet in case there were more women out there going through what I went through. Yes, Mirena is GREAT for so many women; but there are just as many of us out there who did not have good experiences. Because of that I wanted to make a post to let anyone know who’s going through hormone problems after Mirena, you’re not alone. Lots of us have gone through this and there are ways to minimize side effects of the crash.

So you got your Mirena in. It’s supposed to be the most amazing thing ever! The idea of it is awesome, and for SO many women it works wonderfully, but then there are us with not so hot experiences.

For me, Mirena was great at first, after the initial torrential blood fest that lasted roughly 55 days wore off (to be fair, we were all warned). After that it was smooth sailing, right? No periods, no pregnancy. A win-win. Well here’s my story with the lovely Mirena. Nothing catastrophic happened, I just began presenting symptoms that were odd and I didn’t want to deal with.

Before I dive in, here’s a little side information about my health: I’d consider myself a fairly healthy person after having 2 kids in 2.5 years. I’m 5’4″, 130 lb., I exercise regularly, I eat healthy, and I get a normal “mom” amount of sleep (lets be real, we could all use more sleep).

So roughly 9 months into my “5 years” with Mirena I began to increasingly feel funny and fairly unwell. I no longer considered myself in excellent health which was super bizarre for me, I’ve always been healthy! My symptoms were not all at once but more gradual. I became extremely exhausted, had mood swings, anxiety, excessive thirst, ZERO sex drive, odd cramps, spotting and the semi- return of my period. Many more months passed and these symptoms did not go away.  I hit the 1 year mark and I decided to have the Mirena removed. The idea of having a foreign object semi-permanently lodged in my nether regions no longer sat well with me and I KNEW my symptoms were being brought on by something involving my reproductive health. I made my removal appointment, which wasn’t easy but I was in no mood for crap. Apparently Military doctors *at my location* hate removing Mirena early, for whatever reason… (They literally told me and other women that Mirena is expensive and they don’t want to remove it and waste money.)

Finally Mirena removed. They did a few routine cultures at the same time and called me back THAT DAY (another rarity with mil health care!) Come to find out I had a pretty gnarly bacterial infection down there (thanks Mirena) and was prescribed Flagyl (the holy mother of all evil antibiotics, pretty darn potent for someone who never takes antibiotics) and then a following dose of Diflucan. Come to find out later, this drug cocktail basically obliterated all of my healthy gut microbes, only intensifying my Mirena crash symtoms.

The Mirena Crash

Mirena removed. Maybe one year in, maybe 5 years in. Many women have zero problems or side effects from Mirena removal. Others have a whole slew of issues that no one ever warned them about when they considered Mirena.

So, what exactly “crashes” when the Mirena is removed? The IUD Mirena provides the body with a synthetic flow of hormone, levonorgestrel. When you remove that flow of fake progesterone the body is then required to make it’s own which could take days, weeks or longer to restart because it has become “lazy”, relying on the synthetic provision from your IUD instead of producing its own. This restart gap causes your body to essentially go into withdrawal if progresterone levels aren’t sustained. This causes hormone imbalance or estrogen dominance.

The symptoms of a Mirena crash vary widely between individuals, but here are some of the most common:

• Runaway emotions such as anxiety, sadness, anger and depression. Severe cases have produced suicidal thoughts.
  • Frequent mood swings
  • Exhaustion/Fatigue
  • Physical symptoms such as muscle fatigue, cough, sore throat and even fever which are often misdiagnosed
  • Nausea, vomiting and stomach pain
  • Breast tenderness
  • Decreased sex drive and painful sex
  • Consistent sadness, hopelessness, and/or anxiety
  • Mood swings and irritability
  • Feeling of always being tired
  • Trouble concentrating
  • Loss of interest in once enjoyable activities
  • Excessive sleeping or insomnia
  • Changes in appetite
  • Thoughts of suicide

My personal symptoms included many of the things listed about but I could feel my issues were absolutely hormonal and a clear sign of an estrogen/progesterone imbalance. I visited my Physician for the symptoms and he told me what I already knew. My symptoms were likely caused by the Mirena removal and I’ll just need to let my body reset. “Come back if you have more problems”. My Mirena crash lasted four months and revolved around my monthly cycle. My worst days were the week before my period and 3-4 days into my Period. My best days were days 1-7 of my cycle. My symptoms included:

• Tiredness
  • Fatigue
  • Extreme mood Swings
  • Severe Anxiety
  • Depression/Feelings of despair
  • Brain Fog
  • Eye itchiness/dryness
  • Post nasal drip
  • Dizziness
  • Trouble Concentrating
  • Loss of interest in once enjoyable activities

The Mirena Crash is very real and more and more women are coming forward to report their symptoms and tell their story. Many physicians will not acknowledge the side effects you experience as being attributed to the Mirena crash after your device has been removed. Even fewer who do acknowledge your symptoms will offer little to no remedies or solutions to ease your symptoms. They solely rely on the information provided by the manufacturer and because the Mirena crash causes such a wide array of symptoms, you’d be really lucky to get any help from a doctor at all.

Mirena removal has the potential to cause some very serious symptoms in women. These symptoms should not go unheard. If you feel like you cannot cope or are scared by these symptoms you’re experiencing after Mirena removal, please be persistent and honest with your doctor. There are many natural supplements that you can take to help get your body back on track and back into balance. Here are the amazing products that helped me get back on track and ease my symptoms.

Olive Leaf Extract

Fermented Cod Liver Oil

Evening Primrose

Plexus Slim

Plexus BioCleanse

Plexus ProBio5

Advertisements

25 thoughts on “Mirena – What No One Warns You About

1. Susan says:

Thank you so much sharing! I still have my Mirena, but really contemplating getting it removed. I have terrible mood swings and suicidal thoughts around what should be my period. It’s awful.

• theogmomma says:

Hi Susan! Im sorry that you’re having trouble too. You should definitely talk to your doctor TODAY, especially since you’re having suicidal thoughts. Don’t ever push that to the side, even if it’s scary to talk to someone about it!

2. mimi says:

Thank you very much for this blog. I removed mirena this monday and from tuesday I am living a pure hell. I am thirsty all the time, waking at 1am, completely wet. I am bounchin between sweating and chills and trembling. I am hanging between fever and normal temperature. But the worst of all are sore throath and dry mouth. I already have some abscess on the skin of the mouth and don’t know what to do. Do you have any advice for mouth dryness and sore throat issues?

3. Donna says:

I had 3 consecutive Mirenas so nearly 15 years, could the crash last for nearly 12 months, I think the only symptom I don’t have is suicidal thoughts, I did become a compulsive shopper though, which I’ve gotten under control now. Jesus I’m struggling so bad the lethargic tired moody vague women I’ve become. I don’t really like her

Liked by 1 person

• theogmomma says:

I feel ya!! I think you could definitely have symptoms for a prolonged period of time. I’d definitely go see your doctor if you’re having issues for this long. Do you think it could be PMS or PMDD? Now that it’s been over a year for me, the only real issues I have now are heavy PMS which has driven me to become committed to working out and fitness which make me feel SO MUCH better during that time (even though it’s freaking hard to work through)… (I think it deserves a blog post soon!) So now that I’m Sans BC, I definitely feel like a 13 year old girl with how juvenile my pre-periods act 🤣. But there are great ways to overcome that too if you’re set on staying away from hormonal BC like I am.

4. KB says:

How long did the Mirena crash last with you? I have had 3 Mirena’s and hubby is talking about getting snipped so we can go without it. I am SOOOOO SCARED about the removal next week though. I already suffer from depression and to think that I could go back to where I was Before the Mirena is super scary for me. I have my issues now but I think that WITH the Mirena they are much better and less scary than without. Did the supplements really help you out? How long did it last with you? I know mine is supposed to come out at the end of April but because of some complications (my body has gotten use to the hormones and I could get knocked up any minute now) I have to get it removed earlier. The doctor said that I should have come in December. Sweet Baby Jesus I cannot get pregnant again. We have 4 as it is. Can you let me know how everything turned out with you?

• theogmomma says:

Hey! Sorry for my delayed reply 😅 Mom life is wild! My symptoms lasted about 3 months and then started to ease off. The supplements helped a lot but so did taking it super easy.. I think the biggest for me was the magnesium and also getting active and exercising. Don’t forget symptoms don’t happen to everyone, I still feel like we are in the minority (symptom getters) so I don’t want you to be scared! Now everything is fine and I feel very much back to normal (aside from awful PMS which i haven’t had since I was 16, pre BC years. but still, I will never ever do hormonal BC again. Best of luck to you! I hope my resources can help you if you do feel off after your removal!

5. Leani says:

Thank you so much for this! After 6 months of strange/reoccurring UTIs (I just turned 29 never had them before this past August), complete with pain and spotting, my doctor realized I was nearing the end of my 5 years with Mirena and removed it a few weeks early.

The past week without it has been awful. I am mentally all over the place, and several times had severe cramping. I’ve had so many of the symptoms you listed and it’s comforting to know I’m not the only one. I have a follow up scheduled for next week and I am definitely going to pass on any IUD devices for the time being.

Liked by 1 person

6. MirenaPatient#1 says:

Thank you for your story! I had my Mirena removed (after the full 5 year sentence) 6 days ago and I have gone from a state of lethargy (starting the day of removal and lasting a few days) to a state of complete rage and I feel like a crazy person. I get angry and then 5 minutes later I’m crying like a baby. It has not even been a week and this has negatively impacted my life big time. My husband doesn’t want anything to do with me….SUPER LAME!! I didn’t think it would be like this….

Liked by 1 person

• theogmomma says:

Hang in there and be sure to see your doctor if you think it’s getting out of hand. Focus on your health and wellness in this time 💕 I truly hope you feel better soon! You’re definitely not in this alone.

7. Nikki says:

I’ve been reading so much on the “Mirena Crash” over the last week. I’m so glad I came across your blog. I had mine removed Monday (5/7/18) Yesterday was tough as I was feeling very emotional/sensitive. It’s helpful realizing it’s just hormones, that I’m not crazy. I had my first Mirena inserted after my son was born in 2011. I had my second Mirena placed in September 2016. The last year-and-a-half I’ve really picked up on the side effects. Hair loss, cystic acne, anxiety, mood swings, fatigue, thicker/longer blonde hairs on my chin, very foggy-brained. I already deal with anxiety day-to-day, but it had gotten even heavier. I’ve read so many similar stories to mine. It’s nice knowing I’m not alone. Here’s to hoping I don’t experience every side effect during the crash. Good riddance, Mirena!

Liked by 1 person

• theogmomma says:

I’m glad my blog post helped!! Im sorry though that you’re feeling the negative effects.. Be sure to take extra care of your health for a while to help your hormones get back on track. Best of luck, you’ll get through it and will feel amazingly hormone free in no time!

8. Michelle says:

I had my Mirena removed a few weeks ago, and have had a headache ever since!! It’s just awful!! I had my first one for the 5 years , and never had a problem, had a second one inserted right after and have had nothing but trouble with the second one! So I had to have it taken out! After 2 years!!! Now it’s out and these headaches are just awful!!!!! 😥

9. RN in AL says:

I just wanted to chime in here as a former Mirena user and a nurse. I am one who is a believer in trying to get my body to do what it is supposed to do naturally, so when I knew I was going to have my Mirena out, I decided to be as proactive about preventing the crash or minimizing its effect. I am now going on 8 weeks out from having the Mirena removed and have had good luck. I had a period right on schedule, just over 3 weeks after removal and have felt great. Prior to having it removed I had migraines, nausea, felt awful, bloated, no sex drive, depressed, anxiety, panic attacks etc. ALL of that is gone. Thankfully! I am here to tell you, it is possible to have it removed and not have the crash. Maybe I am one of the lucky ones, or maybe some of what I tried worked, in any case, I wanted to share it here and wish others the best of luck.
    Things I did:
    Worked out (and still do) 4x per week for about an hour- cardio, weights, yoga…etc
    Took Gogi berry juice daily on an empty stomach in the mornings- a good quality one from a health food store, no additives!
    Ate Hemp Hearts daily- you can add them to peanut butter toast, salads etc, they are virtually tasteless, but have a reputation for helping to balance hormones
    Took Omega suppliments and increased my natural intake via foods such as salmon
    Ate LOTS of broccoli and other greens (there is a chemical in broccoli that also helps balance hormones)

You can spend a lot of money on supplements, but you may not need to. As a woman I wanted to share this and hope it helps others.
    Best wishes and good riddance MIRENA!

Liked by 1 person

• Kristen says:

I am so glad I found this blog!! I was starting to think I was going crazy. I am a very healthy mother of three I am also a nurse. I had the Mirena placed after my third child. I felt great for the first year and a half no period no issues it was great! However lately I have had several different symptoms such as anxiety, no sex drive, muscle aches and fatigue. I am going to see my Gyn this week to discuss removal. I wasn’t correlating the symptoms with the IUD but after doing some research it seems clear that the Mirena is the issue.

I am very worried about what my birth control options are after the removal of the Mirena. Any suggestions?

• theogmomma says:

Your gyn can definitely tell you about other options for birth control. It all depends on if you want to stick with synthetic hormones or go natural for your body for a while.. If he/she is a good doctor they’ll have information for you regarding all methods of family planning. We do a hybrid of NFP and good old condoms 🤣🙄😑 .. since I’m now 110% against hormonal BC. But this method is working out great for us!

10. Maria says:

Hi there everyone, honestly without this post, I would have thought I was losing my mind. My experience was not as horrible as some, but I completely empathize. I asked my doc when I could expect my first period. He said ” well, it’s quite dried up so probably in 3 months” wtf did that even mean? I didn’t ask more questions (wish I did). Three days later I got my period and small blood clots for about 10 days. It was pretty rough. Then it went away. Shortly after that my mouth was more dry, and a now we are a few days after that an I am feeling so emotional, crying, anxious, fearful, unsettled..just all the depressing emotions described by so many of you. I know now that it will pass. I’m ok but I feel like I have to keep telling myself that. Also ok. I wish I could hug each and every one of you. It really is going to be ok. It’s the effects of the Mirena removal and now I know. I’m glad the IUD is out now. I can’t wait to have my body back. I ended up getting, what seemed like, perpetual BV. I’ll likely need more than 1 dose of antibiotics now but who knows, it may go away now that the Mirena is out. I never had that until the Mirena and now I know a lot of changes are on their way… but you are all here and I’m very very grateful. I sent this post to others just as an FYI. I’m lucky that my SO is a great person, patient and reassuring, and just reading all of this with me. I plan to talk to my gyno when I see him again in July. Sending much love out there

Liked by 1 person

11. sedores says:

I am on post removal 5th month..I really suffer from anxiety and heart palpitations. I want to sleep constantly, feel tired and ı drink gallons of water. Since march ı have been on severe anxiety and ı had 4 horrible panic attacks. I feel very relieved by reading your experiences. It’s is quite relaxing to know that I am not aIone with these awful symptoms so I would love to learn more from you. How long this horrible crash will last? How many times this crash will hit before disappearing completely?

Liked by 1 person

• theogmomma says:

I started feeling better after 6 months or so but I know everyone is different.. now that it’s been 1.5 years now and I can say for certain I’m feeling back to my old normal self – and am embracing the PMS and all the shitty periods 🤣

12. Veronica says:

I am going through this right now, including suicidal thoughts, and my marriage is going downhill fast. I had the mirena put in in February 2018 and had it removed in May2018 because I was feeling as if I was losing my mind. I’m at a loss, I don’t recognize myself anymore and amscared of losing my husband and son. It is a relief to know I’m not going completely crazy and this happens to other women, too.

• theogmomma says:

I’m glad our stories are a relief to you! Don’t be afraid to go to your doctor and talk to them or ask for help especially if you’re having suicidal thoughts. You can also call 1-800-273-TALK (8255) if you think your feelings and thoughts are getting out of control. Live your best life for your husband and son 💕

13. amary says:

After a lot of Googling finally v reassured to find this post – thank you. Had Mirena removed after 12 years to manage evil periods (which it did effectively) last Friday. Having been tested and declared ‘definately post menopausal’ was informed I’d never bleed againand all would be fine. The following day I woke with bleeding, menstrual like cramps, exhausted and craving chocolate – exactly the symtoms I’d had with periods prior to Mirena. Spoke to doctor who sounded bemused and said take ibroprufen and you’ll be fine in a couple of days. I’m not. Remain exhausted, attached to my hot water bottle and brain dead. Really hope this wears off in days rather than months. I am fit (live at top of 300ft hill which cycle up most days, and eat v healthily – fish and veg mostly) – currnetly in a heap fighting the urge to eat sugar! Gathering my strenght to go find some broccoli!

Liked by 1 person